2014 National Cherry Blossom Festival highlights
1) Saturday: Festival opening ceremony, 5 to 6:30 p.m., Warner Theatre, 513 13th St. NW. All tickets have been given out. Nearest Metro stations: Metro Center, Federal Triangle.
2) Saturday/Sunday: Family Days. There are indoor and outdoor activities for children and adults at the National Building Museum, 401 F St. NW, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday. Nearest Metro stations: Gallery Place, Judiciary Square.
3) Saturday, March 29: Kite festival. Competitions and open kite-flying areas will draw many participants and spectators to the Washington Monument grounds from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. This date depends on good weather, so watch for updates. Nearest Metro stations: Smithsonian, Federal Triangle.
4) Saturday, March 29: The Washington Nationals play an exhibition game against the Detroit Tigers at 2:05 p.m. at Nationals Park, South Capitol and M streets SE. Nearest Metro station: Navy Yard.
5) Friday, April 4: The Nationals’ regular season home opener against the Atlanta Braves, 1:05 p.m., Nationals Park.
6) Saturday, April 5: Southwest Waterfront Fireworks Festival. Free music after 1 p.m. at venues around Seventh and Water streets SW, and at 8:30 p.m., fireworks on the Washington Channel. Nearest Metro stations: Waterfront, L’Enfant Plaza.
7) Sunday, April 6: Cherry Blossom 10-mile run and 5K walk/run. From 7:30 to about 11:30 a.m., starting and ending on the 15th Street NW side of the Washington Monument. Nearest Metro stations: Smithsonian, Federal Triangle. The event, which drew more than 17,000 runners last year, goes along Independence Avenue, over the Memorial Bridge, along Rock Creek Parkway, around the Tidal Basin and through East Potomac Park. Lincoln Memorial Circle and Independence Avenue near the Tidal Basin are good viewpoints.
8) Saturday, April 12: Cherry Blossom Festival Parade, 10 a.m. to noon, marches along Constitution Avenue from 7th to 17th streets NW. Grandstand seats start at $20, but watching the parade on Constitution Avenue between 9th and 15th streets is free. Get there early. Nearest Metro stations: Archives, Federal Triangle.