Post 200 The guide to the region's top businesses

Private companies     U.S. headquarters     Nonprofits     Major employers     Universities     Hospitals     Sports     Public companies and financial services     Law and Lobby     Banks and credit unions    





A Comcast customer service center in Oakland, Calif. (Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)

Major employers

Comcast

The cable and Internet giant got a lot bigger in January when it completed its $6.5 billion acquisition of a 51 percent stake in media giant NBC Universal, which was spun off from parent company General Electric. (GE owns the other 49 percent of NBC Universal.) In March, Comcast hired Kyle E. McSlarrow, former president and chief executive of the National Cable & Telecommunications Association, to head up its lobbying and government affairs office in Washington. And that's quite an operation he leads: Comcast spent $14.6 million on lobbying the federal government in the first nine months of 2011.

Trivia

The Philadelphia-based sports and entertainment firm, Comcast-Spectacor, owns the Philadelphia Flyers of the National Hockey League, and the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia, home of the Flyers and the National Basketball Association’s Philadelphia 76ers.

www.comcast.com

Founded: 1963

Chairman and CEO: Brian L. Roberts

Employees (local): 135,000 (2,847)

NOTE: Our methodology for the rankings.